I founded Arctos in early 2016, to help marketer across ANZ tackle today’s data-based marketing challenges.
I have over 20 years’ experience doing this, as a consultant, as a leader and as a practitioner. I have worked in multiple industry sectors, with large and small companies, in many countries, with many technologies. I understand how to make business strategy, marketing technology and customer data all work together to deliver value.
I cut my teeth in mail order and have spent my career in and around analytical, data-based marketing – with broadly equal times as a practitioner and as a management consultant, for companies from massive global organisations, to small enterprises.
What makes me different is that I am a practitioner as well as a consultant, and that my experience spans analytical marketing from soup to nuts, and that I bridge the IT teams, the data scientists and the marketers. I have worked at the coal-face of customer marketing and understand what it takes for external expertise to deliver value.
I have 4 young children and describe myself as a scientific marketer by day, and an exhausted father by night. When time allows I love sailing, great coffee, and playing the saxophone very badly.
Summary of Richard’s Experience and Skills
- 20+ years of experience in operational, managerial and consultancy roles in and around customer marketing and customer experience.
- Prior to this, responsible for marketing automation operations & capability at Vodafone Hutchison Australia, enabling >$100m incremental value per annum and leading multi-$m projects. Prior to this, 10+ years consulting for Tier 1 companies across Europe
- An effective influencer at all levels up to CEO/board level of major corporates, with experience across multiple industry sectors.
- A deep and long track record of delivering value through customer strategy, marketing technology and big data in roles spanning strategy design, build, and run.
Recent Career Highlights
Director, Arctos Consulting, 2016 to date
- Since Jan 2016 I have been helping APAC companies deliver value from their customers and their customer data. Projects include:
- Designing and delivering an analytical marketing programme for a regional Australian bank
- Supporting a customer marketing enhancement programme for an NTT/Docomo subsidiary
Head of CVM Capability and Campaign Operations, Vodafone Australia. 2012 to 2015
- After relocating to Australia in 2012, I led a team of managers & analysts responsible for campaign management and real-time decisioining, rebuilding the team from scratch and delivering over 1,000 lead lists and over 1 million Next Best Activity contacts per month across 100+ live campaigns
- As an internal consultant to the marketing team I led the design of customer experience and lifecycle management programmes across the consumer and SMB bases
- As business owner of the marketing automation infrastructure and capability, I successfully led multi-million dollar projects to enhance Vodafone’s marketing automation capabilities
- I owned our channel vendor and marketing analytics supplier relationships, managing a $2m+ budget
Managing Consultant, CACI Consulting & Sophron Partners. 2000 to 2011
- Sophron Partners was the leading marketing automation consultancy in Europe, helping many household name companies eliver value from marketing automation and customer journeys
- Over 10+ years with Sophron (and then on the management team of CACI after Sophron were acquired in 2008), I managed and delivered multiple projects across a range of clients and industry sectors, focussing on customer lifecycle management, marketing automation and real-time decisioning.
- Key clients and projects spanned telco, banking, media and utilities, including:
- Vodafone Group & multiple national operating companies – numerous customer marketing and analysis projects. Projects included customer lifecycle/journey design & build, contact strategy, next-best-activity, real-time decisioning, business process change
- Royal Bank of Scotland – projects including campaign operations optimisation, real-time decisioning, marketing process enhancement
- Sky TV (UK & Italy) – multiple projects including customer lifecycle, marketing optimisation, marketing process, database design & campaign management
- UPC Group. Customer contact strategy design & build for European cable TV & broadband company
- Guardian News & Media – database marketing strategy and capability design